What We Are All About
The Kindergarten Program at RDS is focused on developing independence, self-confidence and curiosity about the world through a child-centered, inquiry-based approach. Teachers create learning experiences that are tailored to student interests and capabilities. Each child brings a unique sense of authenticity to the classroom; a set of interests, abilities, attitudes and stories that are valued, fostered and included in their learning.
CAPTURE the natural curiosity in each child to develop lifelong learners
HONOUR and investigate each child’s interest through an emergent curriculum
ENGAGE students in their learning with inquiry-based explorations
SUPPORT each child’s innate desire to learn with a strong foundation in Numeracy and Literacy.
Strong Academic Foundation
We believe a strong academic focus on literacy and math behaviours lays a solid foundation for future learning:
- Handwriting Without Tears Program
- Typing Without Tears Program
- Guided Reading Program using Fountas & Pinnell
- Weekly U of T gymnasiums and facilities rentals
- Fundamental movement programs taught by UofT Gymnastic instructors
- Winter Skating program at Varsity Arena
- Outdoor physical education on our backfield
- Indoor Physical education classes in our indoor gym room
- Extensive Physical Education classes 3 x week
Kindergarten inquiry trips include:
- Weekly visits to the R.O.M.
- Annual visit to local Fire Station
- Trips to the A.G.O.
- Pottery at the Gardiner Museum
- Annual Trip to Toronto Zoo
- Local Ravines and Parks
- Our Yorkville Community