All students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 participate in the music program at RDS, developing vocal and instrumental skills as they progress from the primary to the junior grades.
Features of the program:
- Vocal instruction from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 2
- Reading musical notation beginning in Grade 1 with recorder instruction
- ORFF instrumentation in Grade 2
- Ukulele instruction in Grade 3
- Orchestra instruments (brass, woodwind, percussion) from Grades 4 through 8
Students learn music history and theory beginning in Grade 4, and there is a focus on a variety of genres throughout the program, from classical, to jazz, to pop.